Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mar Vista Metro returns!

Hi, outside.in and other hyperlocal blogs out there - http://la.metblogs.com/ , for example.

I know this thing hasn't been updated but that was when people didn't think hyperlocal was anything worth pursuing and that the local newspaper - The LA Times - would sort it all out with their pumping new online site.

Now, I do think the LA Times have improved their site by leaps and bounds since a year ago.

But... a few weeks ago, late into the night, I heard the most sirens I've heard in a long, long time with a new set of sirens starting up after the others had reached the scene which didn't seem that far from my house. Woken up by these sirens, I thought I'd try and find out what was going on. First, I went to the LA Times site and their L.A. Now section - nothing. Thought about local newspapers in the area like The Argonaut. They'd not be doing anything as it wasn't between the hours of 9 and 5. So, I thought I'd try Twitter search (Venice) and finally came across a glimpse of an accident that had happened on Venice near someone's apartment. Whole road was closed off but there wasn't much more than that. Read a bit more about it in the morning but really no specifics. No specifics like it involved a police car and another car. That was discovered when I somehow stumbled across a story similar to this one in LAist.

It made me think more about another event recently where Bundy/Centinela and the 10 Freeway area were closed off while police tracked down a couple of guys who were in trouble with the law.

I want to know more about what's happening in my community NOW and know there are enough people in Mar Vista who can easily publish and share the information about what's happened and happening in the community.

General topics I hope to cover in the future in no particular order:
  • The office development down near Playa Vista
  • Resurfaced tennis courts at Penmar
  • Santa Monica Airport - crashes and development.
  • Santa Monica City College's new campus
  • The changing Mar Vista shopping district on Venice
  • Medicinal marijuana dispensaries
  • Our local schools
  • The old firestation
  • Etc., etc.
If anyone feels like taking a few of these topics and taking some photos, talking to a few people and writing some words, I will post it.

Along with these topics, I do hope to gather and publish as much news that I come across and hear about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LA Times local news is hopeless, now more than ever. This is a great idea!